How to build the “Perfect Car”.
We all have a certain car that has a special appeal to us personally. It may be that you previously owned one, or a family member did, but regardless of who owned it, that certain car has influenced your life.
Here is a story about two owners’ efforts to turn a 1969 Pontiac GTO Coupe into “Something Really Outstanding”.
This project started when the first of the 2 previous owners did a complete restoration on what was an original Canadian GTO sold by McDonnell Motors in Glenco, ON on Feb 6, 1969.
In 2007 a local Pontiac enthusiast saved this car and gave it a “complete restoration” of the highest quality, and spared no expense.
The result was a stunning vehicle, with show quality paint, excellent trim work and a “knock out” white parchment interior.
After this major “labour of love,” the car was enjoyed for 7 years before it was traded into Forbes Motorsport.
In 2014 this splendid example of at 69 GTO was purchased by the next owner, who’s focus was to modernize the car, and take advantage of modern technology and reliability, while still reflecting that original 69 Pontiac GTO look.
Here is what he did:
– Replaced the original motor with a brand new “crate” engine…a GM LS3, 6.2 ltr engine 480 horsepower, and upgraded the camshaft and hydraulic lifters to 540 horsepower
– A brand new 4 speed automatic transmission GM 4LE80 with electronic control
– Fuel injection
– Electronic control module
– Custom painted coil pack covers
– Headman LS series exhaust headers
– Custom stainless steel dual exhaust
– Stainless catalytic converters
– High capacity aluminum radiator
– Electric cooling fan
Then to improve the handling and braking
– Installed Hotchkis front and rear sway bars
– Hotchkis coil spring
– Hotchkis shock absorbers
– Hotchkis trailing arms
Brakes and steering were upgraded as well
– Vented 4 wheel disc brakes
– New CPP brake master cylinder
– New CPP brake booster
– Quick ratio power steering box
– Power steering
Interior features now include
– Air conditioning “classic air”
– New digital instrument panel by “Dakota”
– Bucket seats & console
– Power windows
– Retro sound steering system
– Retro speaker system
Wheels & Tires
– custom 3 piece billet aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle LR2 tires
– front P215/50R17
– rear P255/55R18
OR The Next Buyer May Choose
The Original Pontiac Rally II wheels with chrome trim rings and 225/60R15 front and 275/60R15 rear TA Radial raised white lettered tires.
This was a quick “coles notes” accounting of this complete “makeover” ~ you will need to see this Pontiac GTO to be able to appreciate how this classic 1969 Pontiac GTO has retained its timeless beauty and at the same time, enjoys modern day reliability and stunning performance.
Contact a Forbes Motorsport representative for availability and pricing details: 519-742-4463
Stock # 154909